Salem Oregon has many activities for families wanting to get out of the house.
For Younger Children
- The most well known is probably the A.C. Gilbert Discovery Village. Located downtown on the riverfront, the Gilbert House, has many fun activities for children including the Bubble Room, LaBALLatory, and the outside play structure. Pack a picnic lunch and plan to spend a few hours exploring this place.
- Next to the Gilbert House in the Riverfront Park is the Carousel. Each horse was handmade and painted and is truly stunning. Kids and parents love this beautiful addition to the park. In the park itself is an excellent play structure for kids. There is a smaller area for younger kids, and a larger structure for bigger kids. A path encircles the park for bike riding, or a leisurely stroll around the park.
- It rains in Oregon and as a result several areas of Salem have developed Tot Indoor Parks geared for kids 0-5. Visit my website at http://www.tomsonburnham.com/ for more information about locations.
- The Dallas and Corvallis water parks are located within a short drive. Perfect for those hot summer days with the kids.
- Enchanted Forest is located in Turner, OR but takes 5 minutes to get to from South Salem. It can be scary for the youngest of children as some of the houses are dark, but can be fun for the 4-6 year old crowd.
- Salem Public Library has a room called the Discovery Room. The theme rotates regularly and is a fun place to take children before or after story time.
For Older Children:
- What would any city be without a miniature golf course. Ours is located at the Best Little Roadhouse Garden Golf on commercial.
- There are two skate parks located in Salem Keizer area. Keizer’s is located at the Carlson Skate Park on Chemawa Rd. Salem’s is located downtown by the riverfront park and under the Marion Street Bridge. There is also one located in Aumsville which is a quick drive from Salem.
- Thrilleville is located in Turner, OR close to Enchanted Forest. It has a huge water slide as well as a very tall slide for kids. It is only open Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend so make sure to plan for a trip in the summer.
If you are relocating to Salem and want more information about this city. Please feel free to contact me.